BLS Healthcare Provider and Heartsaver CPR Instructor Course Description (Discipline Specific Module)
As per the 2010 American Heart Association guideline changes the Instructor course is now comprised of two separate components. These components include the Instructor Essential Course and a Discipline Specific Module. Both components MUST be completed prior to moving onto the remaining steps needed to complete your appointment as a BLS Healthcare Provider or Heartsaver CPR instructor.
- Have completed the AHA Essentials Instructor Course found in your confirmation packet, and returned it before course day (or bring a copy with you to class).
- Be aligned with an AHA Training Center (TC)
- Submit the completed Instructor Candidate Application (supply copy of application with registration and must have ALL sections completed)
- Have current AHA Healthcare Provider CPR status (supply copy of card with registration)
- Have completed the AHA Essentials Instructor Course and provide proof of completion on course day.
- Be aligned with an AHA Training Center (TC)
- Submit the completed Instructor Candidate Application (supply copy of application with registration)
- Have a current status in any combination of courses that provide the following skills
- Adult/Child CPR, AED, mask use and choking
- Infant CPR, mask use and choking
- First Aid
Instructor Course Components
The Essentials Instructor Course is a multi-media tool designed to provide a foundation for teaching and facilitating regardless of an instructor candidate's area of interest and specialization. This course provides consistent and uniform instructor training, eliminating material that is repetitive across the various disciplines, with the goal of creating more effective ECC instructors. This portion of the course MUST be completed by the instructor candidate PRIOR to attending the discipline specific module. This will be done online and log in will be provided by UMBC as part of the Instructor Course registration.Discipline Specific Module (DMS):
The Discipline Specific Module will take place at our training facility and uses a combination of various instructor-led and video based lessons, in addition to the resuscitation team concept. This latter concept gives the instructor candidate the opportunity to practice teaching the dynamics of responding to resuscitation as part of a team in simulated cases with the emphasis on effective communication and teamwork.
General Course Information
Early registration is encouraged to ensure space availability. Class size is limited to 16 students.Tuition
Please check the individual registration forms for the fee.
If you have ALREADY TAKEN the Core Instructor Course, the fee for the Discipline Specific Module is $150.00 and includes the BLS Healthcare Instructor Manual. Please contact us for registration. You MUST provide verification of Core Instructor Course completion, proof of Training Center Affiliation, and a copy of your current AHA Healthcare Provider CPR card at the time of registration or proof of the required combination of skills listed under Heartsaver CPR Instructor prerequisites.
All cancellations and request for refunds must be made in writing at least two
(2) weeks prior to the course start date. A $45.00 withdrawal fee will be
charged. All tuition will be forfeited after that date.
A $45.00 fee will be charged for any returned checks.
UMBC reserves the right to cancel any course due to insufficient enrollment. In the event of cancellation, tuition will be refunded or transferred to another course date at UMBC’s expense.
A copy of the general course policies can be viewed by clicking here.Student Materials
- Essentials Instructor Course (provided with course registration
- BLS Healthcare or Heartsaver CPR Instructor Manual (provided with course registration)
- ECC Handbook (may purchase on your own from www.laerdal.com or www.aha.channing-bete.com)
Continuing Education Hours
Continuing Medical Education Accreditation - Physicians
The American Heart Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical
Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American Heart Association designates this enduring material for a maximum of 2.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
AAPA accepts certificates of participation for educational activities certified for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™ from organizations accredited by ACCME or a recognized state medical society. Physician assistants may receive a maximum of 2.25 hours of Category I credit for completing this program.Continuing Education Accreditation - Nurses
The American Heart Association is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the
American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
The maximum number of hours awarded for this CE activity is 2.25 contact hours.
The American Heart Association is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education as a provider of continuing pharmacy education. ACPE Credit: 2.25 Contact Hours or 0.225 CEUs. Universal Program Number: 0256-0000-13-677-H04-P.Continuing Education Accreditation - Emergency Medical Services
This continuing education activity is approved by the American Heart Association, an organization accredited by the Continuing Education Coordinating Board for Emergency Medical Services (CECBEMS), for 2.25 Educator CEHs, activity number 13-AMHA- F3-0189.