CCEMTP℠ Renewal Policy
Click here to download the CCEMTP℠ Renewal packet.
On January 1, 2014 the amount of CEU hours necessary for renewal were increased to forty-eight (48) at the ALS level with emphasis on Critical Care related topics.
- The CCEMTP℠ certificate and renewal are valid for three years.
UMBC DOES NOT send renewal notifications. It is the responsibility of the CCEMTP℠ Provider to know their expiration date and to submit renewal request according to the policies outlined in the renewal packet.
- In July 2012 the guidelines for CCEMTP℠ renewal changed to coincide with the new CCEMTP℠ curriculum. The new guidelines are outlined below:
- 1 - 90 Days past expiration date on current card:
- Still allowed to renew. All 48 CE credit hours required for renewal must have been earned during your certification period prior to the card expiration date. A late fee of $15 will be assessed in addition to the renewal fee. We will determine whether or not you made the 90 day deadline by the postmark date on the mailing envelope or a fax header time stamp.
- Greater than 90 days past expiration date on current card:
- Will not be allowed to be renewed. The only way to maintain your CCEMTP℠ status is to stay current in this rapidly changing field is via continuing education and re-taking the UMBC CCEMTP℠ course.
We now offer 2 options to renew status. You can continue to renew by doing 48 hours of CE's ~ OR ~ by exam.
To receive a new wallet card, the following steps must be followed:Option 1: RENEWAL BY CONTINUING EDUCATION
Download the Renewal Packet
If you are unable to download the packet one can either be faxed or mailed to you.
- Verify that you will be expiring within the next 45 days. We will not process or accept applications for renewal that are greater than 45 days PRIOR to expiration.
- Verify that you are not greater than 90 days past your expiration date.
- Complete the "Renewal Request Form" in the Renewal Packet
- Provide documentation of forty-eight (48) credits of continuing education (CE), at the ALS level with an emphasis in critical care.
- For continuing education to be eligible for renewal use it must have occurred during the three-year period, PRIOR to card expiration. For example, if your status expires July 2022, we will only accept CE's from August 2019 until July 2022.
- Content considered for renewal may be topics covered in the CCEMTP℠ course, including but not limited to: ventilators, IABP, pharmacology. Other considerations are flight academy training, FCCS, ATLS audits, difficult airway trg, and TNATC. (A max of 18 hours will be accepted from TNATC course per renewal period.) Please note, instructor courses may not be included as part of your CE hours. ACLS EP will be accepted towards continuing education hours. ACLS, PALS, ITLS and their equivalents will not be accepted for critical care hours. Click HERE to see additional options for attaining continuing education hours.
- Paramedic Refresher courses MAY NOT qualify as Critical Care con-ed. Specific agendas/topics must be sent in along with the renewal packet for consideration.
- If you are using college level courses (Pharmacology, Physiology, etc.) an UNOFFICIAL transcript should be submitted for review. Continuing education credit is given based on credit hours earned. (i.e. a 3 hour college level course will cover ALL renewal hours.)
- If you are submitting topics from an online source, please provide a transcript including your name and highlighting the topics for consideration toward your renewal. DO NOT fax individual certificates. If completing hours through TargetSolutions, only courses approved for CCEMTP℠ CE will be accepted.
- Attending portions of a current ongoing CCEMTP℠ course is also welcomed and encouraged. Please contact the site coordinator of the course you would like to attend for more details.
Send your Renewal Request Form, documentation, and $60.00 renewal fee to:
Dept. of Emergency Health Services Professional and Continuing Education
Sherman Hall, A wing, Room 303
1000 Hilltop Circle
Baltimore, Maryland 21250
- Please DO NOT submit your renewal request more than once (either mail or fax) or your payment may be processed twice.
Option 2: RENEWAL BY EXAM
You may also opt to take the written exam in lieu of submitting continuing education hours.
At this time, you will only be able to challenge the exam at UMBC in Baltimore, MD. In order
to renew by exam, you must be a current CCEMTP℠ provider and submit an exam request form with
payment. Exam times will be on the first and third Tuesday of each month (excluding Federal,
State of Maryland or UMBC holidays) from 9:30am-1:30pm on the UMBC campus. The available time
spots are limited and will be filled on a first come (paid), first served basis.
In order to renew by exam:
- You will need to submit this form
- Pay the $50 non-refundable exam fee and $60 non-refundable renewal fee
- Contact our office to schedule an exam date.
- Take and pass the exam PRIOR to your current expiration date.
- If you successfully pass the exam with a 70% or greater, your CCEMTP℠ will be renewed with no further action on your part. If you do not pass the exam, you may still renew by submitting continuing education hours. All policies and fees for renewal by CE hours will apply.
If you have questions regarding the renewal process please contact:
*Renewal requests postmarked from the 1st to the end of the month are processed by the end of the following month. Please allow at least 4-6 weeks for processing.
* Payments processed do not reflect or indicate successful renewal of CCEMTP℠ status. Payments are processed by an independent department at UMBC prior to CCEMTP℠ CEU's verification.